The abstraction painting was actually a little difficult for me. Even though I enjoy abstract art, especially making it, it was hard to seperate the figure from the painting and work from that. I ended up using the palette knife and enhancing certain colors that were a little dialed back in the original that way the new piece that was created would have its own content and wouldn't rely on being an abstraction of a master copy. I ended up using a lot of oil paint in the first abstraction becasue I wanted it to have a lot of variety when it came to texture so in some areas I layered it on while in others I tried to spread it out and then go back into it and add more. It was easier once I made a lot of paint and just tried to not see the face that was painted and instead look at it like different areas of colors and then when I started the abstraction of an abstraction I decided it would be interesting to use a smaller, but still proportionate canvas to see if it would be easier or harder. I ended up liking the first abstraction better because in the third one I didn't use as much variety in mark making and color so even thought the face was more abstracted it was still not very interesting to look at because the colors were so intense and bloblike that it didn't really make sense especially when the first abstraction is beside it, it doesn't feel very cohesive. I might go back into the second abstraction and see if I add more variety if it would make it better because I feel like what I do have so far is a good base, just not a very resolved piece.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog