The stretcher-less canvas project was one that I was excited to begin because to me the project removed content along with the ordinary expectations to a painting, that being the frame. Using watered down acrylic paint I worked quickly in order to cover the entire canvas and experiment with the colors I used. I decided to use red orange, blue, black, white, and a little bit of yellow to really try and see what I could come up with a very selective palette. After the entire canvas was covered I kept going back after it dried adding more layers of washes and color in order to create a piece with a lot of depth to it. After I was satisfied with the colors I chose I decided to add some shapes because I was curious as to how that would look with it being a stretcher less canvas. I was very satisfied with the side with black outlines and filled shapes so i chose to show more of that side in my variations. I also tried to create different compositions on the wall using the canvas. I explored incorporating the floor and allowing the canvas to seemingly flow down onto the floor and for the other variations I tried to minimize the space used while also thinking about visual interest. This painting does not really have constraints on it so it was interesting to think about how to display it and how the viewer could interact and view it. I also included detail shots of certain variations because when seeing it in person there are certain areas the viewer can get stuck on and drawn into so I found some of my favorite places in the canvas to showcase the highlights of the piece in hopes the variations would be better understood.







In progress pictures below




Comments

Popular posts from this blog