I like the concept of the atmospheric perspective painting. Using gritty marks and a loose style seemed to be something that I usually enjoy so I thought this project would be kind of easy for me but when we had to pick pictures to use as reference I chose to do one with a reflection and very tall straight buildings because I thought that would make an interesting composition however having such a picture to work from on all three pieces, my paintings became very centered and even though that isn't a negative thing, it definetely made it more difficult to create visual interest within such a strict composition. Even using a very large piece of raw canvas didn't allow me much room to be loose with it because I was worried about making sure it looked believable within the universe of the painting. Only being allowed to use black and white was another challenge because I usually don't use just two colors and it was hard to try and decide what the darkest dark needed to be and if i should use white or raw canvas as a highlight but when I was using oil paint it was a little easier to work with because I find it easier to mix oil paint and work with it because the texture and consistency is kind of different than acrylic. In the third piece I used mostly acrylic paint and some charcoal to outline certain aspects of the painting. Using the spray bottle helped all my pieces because it added a certain element that I think I missed a lot with painting with a brush. the spray bottle was the loose expressive energy that i was missing and really needed in order to create a successful atmopsheric persepctive paintings that were interesting

Comments

Popular posts from this blog